Preparing for a New Baby
The time leading up to the birth of a new baby is exciting, full of anticipation about what the future will bring. Yet, for first time parents especially, it can be quite a daunting time, wondering if you will be able to cope with all the demands that a new addition to the family will bring.
|Bump to 3
- Specialist practical products for expectant mothers, babies and toddlers, including feeding accessories, cups, bibs, potties, thermometers, grobags, cots, high chairs, stair gates, foam corner guards, fireguards and more.
I myself remember very clearly the mixed feelings that I had after giving birth to my eldest child, Sam, who is now thirteen years old. As I looked at him lying there in his plastic cot next to my bed, I felt so many emotions. The biggest one by far was love, for this amazing little baby boy that my body had produced. And I felt a huge relief that the delivery was over without anything horrendous happening, and that I had a healthy little boy, complete with ten tiny fingers and ten tiny toes. Yet I also felt a huge amount of responsibility. I knew that no longer could I just think about me and what I wanted to do - I had to now take into consideration the needs of my new son - my life had changed forever.
This article, I hope, will in some small way enable you to prepare yourself, both practically and emotionally, for your new arrival.
Incidentally, I recently became aware of a company that hires out fetal dopplers. A fetal doppler is a device that uses ultrasound to locate your baby's heart beat. If you would like to spend time impressing your friends and family with your baby's heart beat, or just want to listen to it yourself, visit fetal doppler rental.
Preparing for the Birth
If you are giving birth in hospital, you will need to pack a bag about 6 weeks before your due date containing items that you will need in the hospital. This will need to include:
You will probably by now have decided whether you intend to breast or bottle feed your baby. If you have decided that you would like to breastfeed your baby, then you should try and inform yourself as much as possible about breastfeeding, as there is a lot of misinformation out there - often from midwives and doctors themselves who ought to know better.
In a nutshell, 99% of women are physically capable of breast feeding their children. It is very unlikely that you would have insufficient milk - breast fed babies seem to feed almost constantly on occasions and this is normal, it does not mean that your milk is inadequate in anyway. The more a baby sucks, the more milk you will produce. It's a wonderful balance between supply and demand. Giving your baby a bottle damages this supply and demand and bottles should not be used until breast feeding is well established.
I do not have space here to talk about breast feeding in any greater depth, but the NCT (National Childbirth Trust) have all the advice and support you could wish for, together with information on the many advantages of breastfeeding, and their counsellors will come and help you free of charge if you would like them to.
Every new mum needs a baby changing bag to cart around all the baby paraphanalia. Even if you have a young baby and are breastfeeding you will need to carry around breast pads for when you gush, nappies for when Bodger gushes, wipes, spare clothes, nappy sacs and more. Handbags and Gladrags sell the Pink Lining range of designer changing bags, so why not treat yourself.
- Streetwear for children to make your kids the coolest dudes around. Products for boys include T-shirts, jeans and hoodies; for girls there are cute hooded dresses and T-shirts. Choose between two Ekco giftboxes for newborns.
|Baby Monitors Direct
- Choose your baby monitor from the UK's largest online baby monitor specialist. They have both audio and video baby monitors, digital monitors, breathing monitors and more from a range of brands including Babysense, Lindam. Tomy, Respisense and Babt Sonic.
- The nursery equipment specialists, selling pushchairs, car seats, cots, changing tables, high chairs, clothing, baby monitors, safety gates, sterilisers and much more.
|Babys R Us
- A huge range of nursery equipment and furniture, pushchairs and buggies, high chairs, safety equipment and clothes.
|Baby Sleep Shop|
- Sleepbags, comforting and musical toys, night lights, massage, aromatherapy and much more.
|The Kids Window
- A complete range of clothes for babies and children, together with nursery and children's furniture, educational toys and prams, buggies etc.
|Clothes 4 Boys|
- Online childrenswear store that specialises in boys' clothing. Choose from trousers, tops and outerwear.
|Discount Nursery Equipment @ Bargain Crazy!
- Toys and nursery equipment at huge discounts. Check back regularly for the latest bargains.
- A family run business selling top quality, trendy kids wear from High Street and designer stores at discount prices.
- Fun site selling Jane pushchairs, keepsake tins, clothing and shoes, stocking fillers and other baby toys. Also accessories including baby cups and nursery decorations.
|Winnie and Friends
- Essential products for your new baby including bedding, cots and moses baskets, car seats, buggies, changing bags - the whole caboodle!