Jumpers, sweaters and cardigans - a buyer's guide
How do I choose knitwear?
There are a number of things to bear in mind when choosing knitwear, including sweaters, jumpers, cardigans and other knitwear items. These include:
What is an aran jumper?
Aran jumpers were originally worn by Irish farmers and fishermen on the west coast of Ireland, who needed something warm to protect them from the harsh winds blowing off the coast. Unscoured wool was traditionally knitted to make these jumpers - unscoured wool is wool that is not processed in order to retain the natural sheep's oil (lanolin) within it, making the jumper more waterproof than it would otherwise be.
Many different patterns are used for the knitting of arans, and traditionally identified the families from which they came. Patterns still in use today include:
What is fairisle?
The fairisle pattern originates from an island in the North of Scotland, called Fair Isle. The traditional island industry was the production of fairisle jumpers which were traded for goods with the many ships that passed by. It is said that the islanders obtained the ideas for the fairisle pattern from the clothing worn by the Spanish sailors - traditionally the pattern is made up of rows of geometric shapes, with each row containing two colours.
Fair isle gained popularity in 1922 when it was seen worn by the then Prince of Wales in a photo. (This Prince of Wales went on to become King Edward VIII and, after the abdication, the Duke of Windsor.)
|Knitwear @ Lands' End|
- Knit tops including feminine polos, stretch tees, supima tees, ribs, tunics, cardigans, jersey, fleece and cobble cloth made from cotton and cotton / lycra mixes.
- Knitwear and clothing from top designers including Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Missoni, American Vintage, Valentino and Paul and Joe.
|Rowland's Classic Clothing|
- Classic knitwear designs including cardigans, gilets, a cable jumper and a lambswool argyle slipover.
- Traditional Guernsey knitwear direct from the only specialist Mail Order Firm long established in the British Channel Islands. Free T-Shirt with every online order. The range includes cable stitch, plain / cable indigo, striped, port and starboard and hats.
- Attractive Welsh knitwear for all the family, made using a wide selection of natural yarns such as wool, cotton chenille and a wool/silk yarn with a luxurious soft texture.