Choosing Exercise Equipment
If you have the space at home, and you need to lose a few pounds and tone up, why not consider buying some exercise equipment to help you improve your fitness. There are many items of exercise and fitness equipment available for home use, but it is important to buy something that you will enjoy using. In this article I will describe some of the more popular pieces of exercise equipment, and what they can do for you.
|Fitness Options |
- Europe's largest fitness equipment showroom selling treadmills, bikes, rowers, steppers, abdominal exercisers and more including both home and corporate gym equipment.
|Totally Fitness |
- Discount prices on exercise bikes, steppers, rowers, body fat monitors, heart rate monitors, weights benches, skipping ropes, core stability accessories including bosu, chi balls, fit balls, yoga kits and more.
Exercise bikes gives a good workout to your lower body, firming and toning your gluteals (bottom), quadriceps (front upper thigh), calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus) and the lower front leg (tibealis anterior). It is low impact, and avoids unecessary jarring forces on your joints. Cycling on an exercise bike will also give you an aerobic cardio vascular workout, helping you to burn fat (and calories). The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) recommend aerobic training for at least 20 minutes three to five times per week. More information on what "aerobic" means can be found here.
Exercise bikes will allow you to adjust the resistance to simulate cycling up or downhill. Additional features to look out for include built in heart rate monitors and computer controlled programmable workouts, but these extra options will increase the cost. These additional features may also be available on the cross trainers and treadmills described below.
Elliptical trainers, sometimes referred to as cross trainers, are one of the most popular pieces aerobic exercise equipment to be found in the gym. It exercises your lower and upper body simultaneously , whilst providing a great fat burning cardiovascular work out. Like exercise bikes, cross trainers provide a low impact workout, providing the benefits aerobic exercise without the risks associated with impact.
With a treadmill, you can run whilst watching television in the comfort of your home. Treadmills are usually cushioned to provide greater shock absorption than you would get running on a concrete road. They also offer an excellent aerobic work out, and strengthen and tone muscles in the legs and bottom. However, this is a high impact work out, increasing the risk of injury to your joints. Most treadmills allow you to run on a rotating belt at a variable speed and adjust the incline to simulate running uphill.
Rowing machines give a great aerobic workout to both the upper and lower body, strengthening and toning all the body's major muscle groups. It is also low impact, reducing the risk of injury. Rowing machines are sometimes used as a rehabilitive exercise due to the lack of impact and effective weight support they provide.
- Get 20% off your first order, free UK shipping and 0% interest free credit on elliptical trainers, treadmills, exercise bikes, weights benches, rowing machines, air walkers and dumbell / barbell sets.
- A huge range of gym and fitness equipment, including machines, treadmills, trainers, heart rate monitors, lifting platforms and more.
- Exercise and fitness equipment including trampolines, table tennis tables, treadmills, rowers, multigyms, steppers, a punch bag on a stand and more.
- A huge range of treadmills, multigym, bikes, rowing machines, free weights, boxing gear and more.
- MandMDirect.com buy direct from all the major brands and pass on the discounts to you. All items are delivered direct to your door within 7 days. No quibble guarantee.
- Online sports and exercise equipment superstore, with everything from Aerobics to Weightlifting!
|Deep Blue Dive|
- A huge range of diving gear at great prices including active water equipment, wetsuits and drysuits, fins, boots, gloves, tanks, spear guns and much more.
|first aid 4 sport|
- Sports medicine products for the prevention, treatment and ongoing care of sports injuries.
- Martial Arts supplies and boxing equipment including gloves and mitts, training, protection and sports clothing.
- A range of towels specifically designed for the gym and the beach. The sports towel encompasses built-in pockets to hold your valuables while you work out; the beach towel has an inflatable head support and the sunlounger towel has elasticated corners and ties to hold it to your sunlounger. A pedometer is also available