Interior design ideas for your home
It's easy to get bored with the interior design of our homes, especially if its a long time since they were decorated, or if you have inherited someone else's "dated" decor since you moved in. It's an undeniable fact that copper canopies and crazy paved walls may be some peoples idea of heaven - but most people's idea of hell. In this article, I will discuss a few ways in which you can enhance the appearance of your home without breaking the bank.
|Cast in Style
- An exciting range of rare cast iron products which are normally difficult for people to obtain, made from the original patterns which they have exclusively acquired the right to and can't therefore be purchased anywhere else. The designs are ideally suited to period homes but are equally appropriate in a modern contemporary setting.
|La Redoute |
- French chic for your home, including soft furnishings, bedding, furniture and décor.
Give your walls a boost
A fresh coat of paint or new wallpaper can make all the difference to a tired looking room. Whatever your taste, you will be able to find wallpaper in a variety of colours and patterns, including abstract, with pictures or a range of different textures.
Wallpaper can enhance a room's proportions if carefully selected - vertical stripes can make a ceiling appear higher and reds and oranges will give the perception of warmth. Conversely, pale blue conveys the perception of a colder environment. Greens and greys are soothing in nature and are good colours for an office environment.
Wallpaper borders are widely available, and these can be used either together with the wallpaper, or on their own on a painted wall. Children will especially love themed borders with numbers, cars, the alphabet, fairy princesses or robots on them. As your child grows up you can change the theme of the border without having to repaper the entire room.
Give your sofa a boost
A sofa is quite an expensive item to buy, but sofas can be given a boost by using a throw, which is a very attractive way to give a sofa a new lease of life. Throws can be made out of a variety of materials including wool and cotton, and many can be washed or dry cleaned (check the washing instructions before you buy).
However, if the springs are coming through, and you really feel that there is no option but to replace your sofa, consider buying a leather sofa. Leather sofas are much easier to clean, with specialist cleaning products, and are easy if you have a baby around who is not yet house trained. Note that I am referring specifically to leather - suede settees would not offer the same waterproof properties unless specially treated. Even leather will need to be cleaned and nourished with proprietary products in order that it maintains its suppleness and does not crack.
Have a good clear out
It's a sad fact that during our lives we accumulate loads of clutter, a lot of which we could do without. It is also an undeniable fact that rooms stuffed with junk appear smaller and less tidy than their emptier counterparts. So one way to make your house look better is to have a good clear out. If your stuff is too good to throw away, why not have a car boot sale or sell it on ebay? Then you could raise your money to buy some paint, wallpaper, a new throw or something else much more exciting!
All Up and On
- Everything for the home at BHS including lighting, furniture, curtains, bedding, bathroom furnishings, beds and mattresses and kitchen essentials including cookware and storage accessories.
- Find the Home furnishings in the "Living" section and get 20% off your first order and 0% interest free credit.
- Home storage solutions plus a wide range of accessories including tabletop and kitchen, home, lighting and cushions and throws. Also sophisticated barware and clocks, candles and bath products.
|Shop 4 Windowfilms
- Window Films enhance the look and performance of existing glass. The range includes solar control films, glass decor, privacy films and vinyl, decorative patterns, advertising banners, auto tints and tools and accessories.
- Home Improvement and building services London - Loft Conversions, Extensions, Bathrooms, Kitchens, Plumbing, Heating, Painting.
- Create a themed bedroom for your child with beds and bedding, bean bags, furniture, lighting, mirrors and soft furnishings. Choose from many themes including Princess, Pirates, Flowers, Dinosaurs, Outer Space, Fairies and many more.
- Furnishings and home decor inspired by Morocco, including doors, knockers, tables and chairs, ceramics, planters, mirrors, throws, rugs, lights, cooking pots and more.
- Football bedding and bedroom accessories so you can kit out your or your children's rooms with the colours of the football team you support.