Lawnmowers - A Buyer's Guide
There are a number of different types of lawnmower on the market today, including Rotary, Hover, Self Propelled and Tractor / Ride-On mowers, made by a variety of manufacturers including Flymo, Qualcast, Allen, McCulloch and Hayter Herritage.
Which one should I buy?
You will need to consider the following points:
In general, light lawnmowers, either powered by electricity or petrol depending on your preference, are suited to smaller lawns, with the heavier mowers with larger blades more suited to larger lawns. You may also want to consider a self-propelled mower for a larger lawn, as this can reduce the effort required considerably.
If you have a very large area to mow (around half an acre or more) it might be an idea to get a ride-on or tractor mower if you can afford one as you will be able to mow the lawn more quickly than with a standard variety - or buy a sheep!
If your lawn is level, you have the option of a cyclinder mower for a striped appearance.
For a sloped lawn, a hover mower is the easiest to use. On very steep lawns you can lower them down the slope using a piece of rope tied around the handle.
For lawns with trees and other obstacles, wheeled rotary mowers are easier to manoeuver.
The four main types of lawnmower are:
- Petrol hover mowers including the Allen 440 Hovertrim, Allen 446 Hovertrim, Allen 450 Hover Professional, Flymo XL500 PLUS Hover Mower and the Flymo XL550 Petrol Hover Mower. All are sold at a discount to the RRP.
|Mow Direct |
- Discount prices on a huge range of electric, petrol, cordless and hand propelled lawnmowers including rotary, hover and cylinder mowers.
|B & Q |
- A huge range from B&Q including electric cylinder, hover and hover collect, rotary and petrol rotary mowers. Also aerators and rakers.
- Lawncare items including aerators, rollers, edgers, leaf blower / shredders and grass seed.
- An extremely extensive range of electric, petrol and hand push mowers, including ride-ons, by popular brands including Flymo, Mountfield, Qualcast, Atco and more, together with advice on maintenance and safety.
- A comprehensive range of online garden machinery including lawn mowers, rakes, rollers and spreaders, chainsaws, leaf blowers and vaccumes, shredders, hedge trimmers and more.