Lighting @ Screwfix
The most common type of light fitting is the normal 240V lamp, which has a connection directly onto the mains. Nowadays, there are two additional forms of lamp called halogen lighting, which differ from this standard. The first type of halogen fitting, commonly used in living rooms and kitchens, is 240V but uses a special halogen bulb, which provides a very bright white light. The second type of halogen fitting is 12V or low voltage halogen lighting. This type of lighting, although fed from 240V, has a small transformer unit between the light switch and the light fitting itself. Often these transformers can be used to supply, two, three or even five light fittings (but obviously always follow the instructions that are on the fitting itself). The low voltage halogen bulbs are designed specially for use in bathrooms, ensuites, toilets with sinks - in fact, anywhere where the fittings may be within a certain distance of water.
Please be careful if fitting new lights where there are not currently light fittings - you must be aware of the need to meet building regulation requirements which stipulate regulations regarding the distance that fittings need to be from water, what voltage they should be and whether the fittings / switches need to be sealed units.
In addition, please be aware that the building regulations have now changed. Electrical work at home concerning the placement of new fittings requires the use of a qualified electrician.
The choice you will ultimately make is personal. However, you should think about:
The most cost effective way of buying is to buy online. Often people like to see things before buying them - one of the best ways of doing this is to visit a major showroom and get an idea of what you would like, maybe even taking photos, then look on ShoppingTrolley and make your purchase online at a reduced price.
|Light in Style|
- Contemporary lighting for your home, this site has a massive range including ceiling lights, LED standard lamps and Tiffany glass. The range also includes lighting controls, transformers, downlighters, energy efficient lights, floor lamps, table lamps, outdoor lighting, children's, fibre optics and also commercial.
- Extensive selection of lights and lighting including ceiling, pendant, hanging and wall lights; chandeliers; table and floor lamps including Tiffany; picture, spot and semi-flush lights; downlighters, track lights, snooker lights and more.
- Specialist site dedicated to indoor and outdoor lighting at cheap prices. Their range is massive and includes LED cordless twin spot reading lights, solar driveway / path lights, flush track and wire lighting ranges, low voltage LED and halogen garden lights and plug and play garden lights, together with switches and sockets in various colours and finishes.
- Heal's offer keen prices on contemporary quality designer or exclusive lighting from brands including Tom Dixon, Anglepoise, Starck & Sarfatti.
The range includes indoor and outdoor lighting including chandeliers, pendants, spotlights, wall lights, lamp shades and table and floor lamps.
- Ceiling fan lights, floor lamps and uplighters, bulbs, shades and switches, novelty, outdoor, spots, table lamps and wall lights. Delivered to your door or collect in store if you prefer.
- A huge range of lighting, includin designer lighting by Philippe Starck, 15 table lamps at £15 each, plus floor lamps, ceiling lights and pendants, wall lights, spotlights, lamp bases and lamp shades
All Up and On
- A complete range of lighting including colour changing, LED, picture lighting and remote control, together will a full range of energy efficient light bulbs including 2 pin, B15 SBC, B22BC, E14 SES, E27 ES and GU10.
- Custom made fluorescent light signs to advertise your company, together with component parts such as CCFL tubes and mountings. Also illuminated picture frames for commercial use.
- A vast range including: Uplighters, Flush fitting, Desk, Security and Novelty! Over 500 designs to choose from.