The ShoppingTrolley.Net Online Shopping Guide
Before you Buy
- Check the company you are buying from has a secure server for online credit card payments. You will normally see a padlock at the bottom of the screen when you enter your credit card details. Note that well known third party payment services such as Paypal, Nochex, World Pay, Secpay are all secure (this list is not exhaustive).
- Shop around to make sure you're buying at the best price. Remember to take into account delivery charges - some sites deliver free of charge and others have notable delivery charges.
- Check whether the site is based in the UK, EU or outside of the EU. If you buy from a shop that is based outside of the EU you may have to pay customs charges when your goods are delivered to you, although books are duty free.
When you buy
- Keep a record of the company you are buying the item from and print out any receipts. If you pay by credit card you may get extra protection as provided for by the Consumer Credit Act, eg if the company goes bust before you receive your goods, the credit card company will refund your money.
When you buy online you are entitled to:
- An accurate description of the goods or services before you buy.
- Written confirmation of this description after you have completed your purchase (this can include by email).
- You are allowed a cooling off period of seven days, during which time your order can be cancelled without reason and a full refund obtained (this does not apply to personalised or perishable goods).
- A full refund if the goods or services are not supplied by the agreed date, or within 30 days if there was no date agreed.