Plus Size @ Simply Be
Plus size clothing in sizes 14 - 32. Free returns and next day delivery.
Get 15% off your first order with promo code HCYK3. This code is valid from until 4th April, 2011
Plus Size Buying Advice
The traditional buying advice for larger ladies buying plus size clothing has traditionally been quite tame, suggesting that the fuller figure is best suited to dark clothing. In this article I will discuss the traditional advice given to ladies of size, and suggest a few alternatives that will also look good.
- A plain black dress is a wardrobe mainstay.
There is no getting away from the fact that black is a very slimming colour, and suits many shapes and sizes. However, very pale skins can seem even paler when black dresses are worn, and I would suggest that fairer skins look towards navy and other dark colours in addition to black. If you hold the dress next to your face you will see which colours suit you the best. You could even consider spending some time with a "Colour Me Beautiful" consultant, who will be able to advise you on the perfect colours and makeup for your skin tones. Accessories such as diamond earrings will draw attention to your face. When choosing your tights, try and get them in a colour similar to that of your dress and finish off the outfit with a pair of high heels if you can manage to walk in them - this look will make you appear taller and slimmer.
- Self coloured clothing is more slimming than patterns.
Whilst this is true, it doesn't mean that you have to avoid all patterns. Big floral patterns don't really flatter anyone, but, for example, a fine pin stripe suit can be very flattering, when teamed with an open necked shirt that skims over the top of your waist. Try tieing a brightly coloured scarf around your neck (again to draw attention to your face.)
- Make yourself appear as tall as possible.
This is done by wearing high heels and sticking to one colour top to toe. So if you are going to wear a belt, make sure that it is the same colour as the rest of your outfit, otherwise it will have the effect of cutting you in half. If the occasion is appropriate, consider wearing a hat for extra height.
- Don't wear tight clothing
If in doubt, always go for a bigger size. Pyschologically this can be difficult - you always want to wear the smallest size possible. However, noone else knows what size you are wearing - cut the labels out of your clothing if it makes you feel better. Clothing that is too tight, such as blouses straining at the bust or skirts digging in around the waist are very unflattering. Clothes that are slightly too big give more of a slimming effect.
- Make sure you wear a bra that fits correctly
You will feel so much better! Bras from companies like Bravissimo (see left) are especially designed for larger cup sizes, but made from the prettiest of fabrics so you won't feel like you're wearing old grey scaffolding. A correctly fitted bra will enhance your beautiful curves and fit comfortably - straps won't did in over the shoulders and the back won't ride up. In addition, a correctly fitted and supportive bra may take some of the strain off your back.
- What about men?
Men should visit the delightful online store, High and Mighty, which specialises in clothing especially for men who are big and / or tall, including large men's clothing and shoes. Brands sold include Ben Sherman, Ralph Lauren, Animal and Kayak. Note that this store also sells men's shoes in sizes 12 - 16. If you are particularly interested in buying shoes in large sizes, then Walk Tall also specialise in this, offering men's shoes in sizes 12 - 17. (Use the discount coupon code WTAF1 at checkout to get £5 off a £30 spend at Walk Tall).
- Fashionable and affordable ladies' clothes in sizes 16 to 30. You get to buy clothes that look tailor made, flatter curvaceous figures and give a real confidence boost. The collections page helps you to put together a completely styled outfit with very little effort.
|Yours Clothing |
- Large independent plus size boutique specialising in sizes 14 up to size 32. Easy "shop by size" feature Free delivery on all orders over £60.
Plus size clothing at JD Williams. Specialising in sizes 12 thru' 34, this company sells coats, skirts, swimwear, lingerie, footwear, tailored suits, party dresses, jeans and tops, in figure flattering designs which look and feel great. You can also get wide fitting footwear in sizes 4-9 with width fittings D to EEE.
Free returns and next day delivery.
Easy to wear shirt dress at La Redoute - available in sizes 14 - 30 and costing £35, (less if you use discount codes - see entry for La Redoute in the left hand column). Cute, flattering and modern. Also available in red and white.
Click here to buy.
- Leading High Street brand, now online, specialising in sizes 16 - 32.
|La Redoute |
- Plus size French chic clothing from size 16-34 by "Taillissime" at La Redoute.
- Stylish fashions for ladies with fuller figures from size 16 to size 36. Clothes are comfortable, featuring designer chic at High Street prices. Free delivery on orders over £50 and free returns.
- Delight in your curves with bras, swimwear and vest tops with built in bras from a D to an L cup. (To be exact, D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG, H, HH, J, K and L). In fact, Bravissimo do not make cup sizes smaller than a D.
|High & Mighty |
- Clothes for big and tall men, including casual and formal wear.
- Quality British lambswool and cotton sweaters, cardigans, aran jumpers, gilets and other knitwear in 18 colours from only £20. Because the jumpers are unisex they are generously sized for ladies, with XXL fitting chest size 48"-52".
- Everything for the man measuring from 36 to 58 Inch Chest, waist 30 to 54 Inches and shirt size 14 1/2" to 23", including suits, jackets and underwear.