Garden Sheds and Summerhouses at The Shedstore|
- Every garden building you can imagine including wood, metal and plastic garden storage sheds, summerhouses, log cabins, playhouses and pet houses at discount prices (up to 36% of the RRP). Official retailers of many leading brands of outdoor buildings including Yardmaster and Treetops. Free UK delivery.
Guide to Garden Buildings
There are various types of buildings that you can buy to put in your garden including sheds, summerhouses, log cabins and children's play houses.
Garden sheds can be made from wood (timber), metal or plastic. Metal sheds are usually made from aluminium or galvanised steel and do not require and maintenance, but rarely have windows and are usually just used for storage.
However, wood sheds come in large variety of shapes, designs and sizes, and can be used as an office, a workshop or a play house depending upon the design. It is easy to attach additional shelves and hooks to wooden shed walls for additional storage (note - some cheap wooden sheds are have very thin walls that would not support shelving, in which case you would need free standing storage units). Some have opening windows and skylights for ventilation - which you will need if you are going to spend any length of time in the shed. Most have an Apex shaped roof for repelling the rain, with the roof lined in roofing felt.
The "Rolls Royce" of sheds is the log cabin. They can be very luxurious, be split level, and kitted out with indoor barbecues (a "kotta" - very popular in Finland), spa pools and saunas. Some people run businesses from them.
Will I need planning permission for my shed?
Our current understanding of the law in England and Wales is that planning permission is not required, provided that the shed is not being erected in a Conservation Area or the garden of a Listed Building. However, the following criteria must also be satisfied:
It should be noted that building regulations state that wooden buildings should be situated more than 2m from the main house.
How do I prepare a suitable base / foundation for the shed?
The base must be on firm, level ground. The best base is one laid in concrete, which will make a firm foundation for the erection of your shed. Alternatively, you can use rows of paving slabs which will also allow you to be able to move the shed in the future. Note that for larger sheds a concrete base is the preferred choice.
Tip: Create an extra concrete area / path at the front of the shed, to provide a clean entrance area to stop you walking mud in, in inclement weather.
What about Maintenance?
Once a year, treat the outside of the shed with a proprietary wood stain treatment, and keep any metal moving parts (locks and latches) well oiled.
- A small selection of storage buildings.
- Visit Screwfix to find a range of log cabins, timber and metal shed and garden stores at trade prices, with free UK delivery.
Also check out the Screwfix clearance sale.
- An extensive range of sheds and outdoor garden buildings including Conservatories, Play Equipment, Gates, Fences, Log Cabins and Summer houses.
|Taylors Garden Buildings|
- A wide range made from wood, metal and plastic. Also Summer houses, conservatories, pet houses, garages and hot tub covers.
- A unique online building plastics shop supplying the UK. Items sold including vinyl and plastic maintenance free outdoor buildings.
Log Cabin Kits