- Over forty thousand dvds including new releases, delivered free in Europe.
The DVD video format - a brief guide
DVD - what is it?
DVD, standing for "Digital Video Disc" or "Digital Versatile Disc" is a form of optical storage media. It is the same size as a CD, yet can hold digital video, photos, music and data. DVD's have come down in price so much in recent years, it is highly likely that they will end up replacing cds altogether. In fact, many of the latest Hi-Fi systems allow you to play mp3 files directly from DVD. This allows you to store up to 50 albums worth of music on one DVD.
How good is the quality of DVD video?
DVDs provide a far superior format to that of the video tape. However, dvd-video is coded in the MPEG-2 format which is a "lossy" format. This means that information that is deemed as not required by the compression algorithms is removed. Occasionally, as no algorithm is perfect, this can lead to perceptable flaws.
What video information can DVD's store?
What is DVD audio?
DVD audio is a different format to DVD video, and therefore will not usually play in a standard DVD player. It contains very high fidelity audio, which is copy protected, although it is arguable whether the human ear can distinguish the superior quality audio from normal cd quality music. This format should not be confused with DVD-music. DVD-music is a standard DVD disc containing music files that will play in a standard DVD player.
What are region codes?
There are six region codes that may be applied to a purchased DVD. The region codes are:
The region code denotes the area of the world where playback was intended to take place. This was to artificially prevent DVD's being distributed in countries where they had not yet been officially released eg the latest films are often released in the US first before appearing in the UK. This would allow the film studios to control the distribution and price of the latest movies on a regional basis. However, in practice the majority of DVD players are "multi-region", meaning that they will play discs from any region, or can be modified to do so.
What does the future hold?
Time never stands still in the world of technology, and new formats are currently being developed that will ultimately replace DVD. These include:
Both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD technologies will most likely to be able to store more data in the future than is indicated above, by working on multi layer technology to increase the number of layers per disc. Both of these formats should be backwards compatible with current technology.
Sony has recently banned adult films being used by the Blu Ray production system. This has forced the producers of adult films to use the alternative HD-DVD technology. Currently, more movie studios are moving toward Blu Ray than HD-DVD, but this move by Sony could alter the balance the other way. Interestly, the failure of the Betamax video format (against VHS) may have been because Sony banned adult films being processed by Betamax tape duplicators. Could history be repeating itself?
|Power Play Direct
- Huge reductions (approx 30%) on the RRP and free delivery on the latest releases, chart, classics and Box Sets DVDs.
- Tens of thousands of titles, with every DVD and video currently on release. They stock everything from Television favourites to Hollywood Blockbusters, at discount prices
- DVD's at discount prices, including imports. They stock a full range of chart dvds and all prices including UK shipping.
New releases, charts and free Super Saver delivery if you spend over £5.
|Copy movies with ICopyDVDs2|
- Software for backing up and copying movies. Designed to be user friendly, it will enable you to copy a dvd in under an hour.
- Leading retailer with massive reductions on tens of thousands of titles. Free Delivery to the UK.
- Specialists in films delivered to your door. You can preorder the latest films, watch trailers, purchase new releases or choose from a back catalogue containing over 15000 films. A great resource for cinema enthusiasts.
- An online store offering movies, software, games and computer hardware and peripherals at discounted prices. They also have a customer loyalty programme which entitles you to free gifts.
The latest releases from just £4.99. Free UK delivery.
|Tesco Entertainment Warehouse |
- Every movie on general release, together with and a wide selection of computer games. Regular price checks against HMV.
- The widest range of Videos and games from blockbuster titles to TV series to classics at the best prices with free UK and EIRE delivery.