|Vitamins and Minerals from Holland & Barrett|
- A comprehensive range of vitamins, minerals and nutritional and dietary supplements. Free UK delivery on orders over £30.
Vitamin and mineral supplements. Are they really necessary?
Yes, according to an article published in the "Journal Of The American Medical Association" in 2002. This article recommended that all adults should consider taking vitamins to help avoid chronic diseases.
The article stated the following:
How do I know which supplements are right for me?
The above study recommended that all adults should take a multivitamin tablet. You should remember to take the vitamin every day, and make sure that you take the RDA - ie the Recommended Daily Amount. If you are a Vegan (i.e. you eat no animal products whatsoever), you may want to consider taking a Vitamin B12 supplement. This is because Vitamin B12 is only available in foods from an animal source. However, many breakfast cereals and other vegan products are now fortified with Vitamin B12. Standard vegetarians who eat and drink dairy products such as egg, cheese and milk are less likely to suffer a Vitamin B12 deficiency.
What other supplements might I consider?
If you suffer with your joints or do a lot of exercise, you might want to consider the following supplements.
Note - if taking multiple supplements, ensure that you do not overdose on any of the ingredients therein. In particular, it is possible to overdose on fat soluble vitamins such as A and D.
What about Omega 3?
Omega 3 is contained in fish oils (see above), and is said to be beneficial to your heart, sight, hair, skin and skeleton. Other supplements said to beneficial to your heart include garlic. Garlic helps to maintain optimal cholesterol levels and prevent hardening of the arteries. It is also an antioxidant. Garlic is also known to have anticoagulant effects, so if you are already taking blood thinners such as Warfarin or are preparing for surgery, you should ask your doctor if taking garlic is a good idea.
| Glucosamine & Chondroitin|
- Glucosamine, chondroitin, Omega 3, cod liver oil, Ginseng, antioxidants including Echinacea and Vitamin C, plus more.
| Healthy and Essential|
- Top quality famous name Flax and Fish Oils, plus more nutritional and dietary supplements.
| Your Health Food Store|
- Premium quality nutritional supplements to address a range of health issues. Free delivery if you spend £4.95 or more.
- Easy to find pharmacy products along with their own brand.
- Over 500 natural health and healing products including Individual Vits/ Mins, Antioxidants & Enzymes, Herbal, Detox, Sports, Homeopathic Remedies, Healing Crystals, Chakra Balancing, Feng shui & buddhist and more.